Don’t Miss The Sweetwater Jaycees Rattlesnake Round-Up for 2021
The Sweetwater Jaycees 63rd Annual Rattlesnake Round-Up is scheduled for March 11th-14th at the Nolan Country Coliseum at 1699 Cypress Sweetwater. The Jaycees are ready to welcome over 40,000 guests that come from all around the globe. Rest assured that all CDC, State and local Health Department guidelines will be strictly adhered to. Including the wearing of facemasks and social distancing.
In 1958, the Sweetwater Jaycees started this event as a way to control the overpopulation of rattlesnakes throughout West Texas that were hurting people, pets and endangering livestock. Today the Rattlesnake Roundup features a parade, a beauty pageant, a fried rattlesnake eating contest, food booths, a Barbecue Cook-off, nightly dances, a carnival, a giant flea-market and an awesome gun show.
The Worlds Largest Rattlesnake Round-Up will open it's gates 8am and the dances start at 7pm. Guided rattlesnake hunts begin at 10am Friday through Sunday and the public is invited to spectate on bus tours. Tickets to attend are $10 for adults, $5 for military & kids ages 5-12.
However, in order to participate in an actual rattlesnake hunt, you'll have to contact the Sweetwater Jaycees in advance to reserve your spot in a hunt and receive any and all requirements needed to participate in a guided hunts.
Here's a list of the current rattlesnake hunting requirements:
- Texas General Hunting license (Resident or non-resident)
- A Non-game stamp
- Your own vehicle (you will follow the guide to the ranch, maps will be provided in case you get lost)
- Boots, jeans, comfortable shirt, jacket, gloves
- Food and drink (plan on an 8 hour adventure)
- Snake catching equipment (optional)
- If you ordered a pre-sale ticket, you must bring the print-out of your ticket with your name on it, and a valid form of ID, so it can be checked off of the master list.
(Source: Sweetwater Jaycees Guided Hunts requirements)
Bus tours to snake hunts and habitations happen daily and the rattlesnake eating contest is scheduled for Sunday afternoon. Contact the Sweetwater Chamber of Commerce at 325-235-5488 for more information.
Below, see photos of the Sweetwater Jaycees recent Rattlesnake hunts and the Round-Up.