Everything We Know About Brantley Gilbert’s New Album ‘Fire & Brimstone’
BG Nation, get excited: Brantley Gilbert's next studio album arrives this fall.
Fire & Brimstone, Gilbert's fifth studio album, is coming in October. He's not been shy about sharing its new songs, however: Since late 2018, fans have been able to hear a few of the more than a dozen tracks on the forthcoming project. Gilbert says he wrote and re-wrote the album "three times" in his quest to make it perfect.
"My albums are important to me, and the stories on them are very important to me, because they do tell a chapter of my life," he explains. "That being said, with the way people consume music now, if you release that giant project, you're burning most of the songs on the record. The attention span just isn't there for people who may not be the most devoted fans. Our BG Nationers will listen to every song, but if you're trying to reach new people, the attention span's just not there. So being able to release these songs periodically leading up to the album has been awesome."
What else do you need to know about Gilbert's next album? Read on for all the details.
Gilbert's new album is titled Fire & Brimstone.
The Release Date
Fire & Brimstone is due out on Oct. 4. The album is available for pre-order now.
The Record Label
Gilbert is signed to Big Machine Label Group's Valory Music Co. He's been with the label since 2011, after releasing his first two albums with Average Joes Entertainment.
Brandon Day, Mike Elizondo and Dann Huff all produced songs on Fire & Brimstone.
The Album Cover
Gilbert's new album's cover is ... dark. Smoke surrounds the artist, who stands in an industrial-looking building, a bit of light streaming through the windows. The record's title appears in an intricate, stone-styled font, while Gilbert's name appears below.
The first single from Fire & Brimstone is "What Happens in a Small Town," a duet between Gilbert and Lindsay Ell. The song has been out since late 2018 and peaked at No. 13 on the Billboard Country Airplay chart in mid-July.
There are 15 songs on Fire & Brimstone, a few of which fans have already been able to hear. In addition to "What Happens in a Small Town," Gilbert shared "Welcome to Hazeville," a stoner's anthem featuring Colt Ford, Lukas Nelson and Willie Nelson in April. Track No. 2, "Not Like Us," was used in a NASCAR marking campaign this spring, while "Man That Hung the Moon" dropped ahead of Father's Day, and Gilbert unveiled "Bad Boy" on Aug. 2. "Fire't Up" followed in early September.
Fire & Brimstone's title track features Jamey Johnson and Alison Krauss as special guests. "Jamey is like the reverend. And Alison is kind of like the choir girl or front-row Christian .... and I’m like the guy who’s in the back row that smokes a cigarette," Gilbert tells Taste of Country of the song.
"Here’s the thing: I figured out a long time ago I’m not Carrie Underwood. And I wrote the song by myself, so it’s something that’s comfortable for my voice," Gilbert says of singing with two of country music's finest vocalists. "Those are two of my favorite vocalists of all time. Jamey is just the man, and, you know, Alison -- I feel like if God put an angel’s voice on earth it’s probably hers."
Brantley Gilbert, Fire & Brimstone Track Listing:
1. “Fire’t Up” (written by Brantley Gilbert, Brandon Day, Justin Weaver)
2. “Not Like Us” (written by Brantley Gilbert, Rhett Akins, Brock Berryhill, Amy Wadge)
3. “Welcome to Hazeville” (feat. Colt Ford, Lukas Nelson and Willie Nelson) (written by Brantley Gilbert, Rodney Clawson, Andrew DeRoberts, Colt Ford)
4. “What Happens in a Small Town” (feat. Lindsay Ell) (written by Brantley Gilbert, Rhett Akins, Brock Berryhill, Josh Dunne)
5. “She Ain’t Home” (written by Brantley Gilbert, Brian Davis, Justin Weaver)
6. “Lost Soul’s Prayer” (written by Brantley Gilbert, Andrew DeRoberts)
7. “Tough Town” (written by Brantley Gilbert, Blake Chaffin, Andrew DeRoberts, Josh Phillips)
8. “Fire & Brimstone” (feat. Jamey Johnson and Alison Krauss) (written by Brantley Gilbert)
9. “Laid Back Ride” (written by Brantley Gilbert)
10. “Bad Boy” (written by Brantley Gilbert, Andrew DeRoberts, Josh Phillips)
11. “New Money” (written by Brantley Gilbert, Rhett Akins, Brock Berryhill, Brandon Day)
12. “Breaks Down” (written by Brantley Gilbert, Jaida Dreyer, Josh Mirenda, Justin Weaver)
13. “Man of Steel” (written by Brantley Gilbert, Brock Berryhill, Cole Taylor)
14. “Never Gonna Be Alone” (written by Brantley Gilbert, Brock Berryhill, Erik Dylan)
15. “Man That Hung the Moon” (written by Brantley Gilbert)
Gilbert began his 2019 Not Like Us Tour in late June. Michael Ray and Lindsay Ell are his special guests on the trek, which includes dates into October. He'll follow that trek with the Fire't Up Tour, which will begin in early 2020.
Brantley Gilbert's Best Live Shots
You Think You Know Brantley Gilbert?